Low carb Asian feasts
17 September, 2020
How to still enjoy the flavours you love without compromising your diet goals
Low carb diets, like keto and paleo, continue to be popular for a variety of reasons. And with the popularity of carbohydrate-laden foods like rice and noodles across Asian cuisines, many people might think that puts Asian food off the menu.
Well, we’re here to share the good news. You can still enjoy the Asian flavours you love without compromising your diet goals if you prefer to eat low carb. (And of course, for all our carb- loving friends, you can feel free to add a serve of rice to any of the suggestions too!).
Eating around the carbs when you’re out and about
Around Chatswood, we’re so lucky to be blessed with some of Sydney’s best foods – Asian and otherwise. So when you’re eating out with friends and everyone is craving some Asian food, you don’t need to panic about what you’ll be able to eat while sticking to your low carb diet. Here’s just some of our favourite suggestions to satisfy your taste buds and stay within your macro target range!
- Head to China Chilli to try dishes like dry braised bacon and cabbage, dry fried cauliflower and pork shreds, stir fried baby bok choy and sizzling beef slices and peppers in cumin sauce – just say “no thanks” to the rice
- Try some of the fantastic skewers from Granny Wolf, mixing up meat options like spice pepper and cumin lamb or bulgogi beef brisket with veggie skewers like grilled mushroom and grilled zucchini
- Go for a salad like those from Saigon Rolls for all the flavours you love without the rice or noodles – but remember that the dressings can sometimes be a bit high in sugar, so ask for it on the side to add yourself if you’re being super strict on a low carb count
- Clear soups are also a great option like tom yam goong, miso or an egg drop soup
- Steamed dishes like steamed whole fish or tofu are typically made without some of the sugar-heavy sauces so can be a fantastic lighter option
What about at home
If you’re cooking your Asian favourites at home, there’s even more options to experiment with the tastes you love while keeping the carb-count down. You can try things like:
- Replacing the noodles in your ramen with shirataki noodles (also known as konjac noodles) – available in Woolworths, these low-carb and low-calorie noodles are a great
option to add bulk and texture to your soups
- Using vegetables in place of noodles – zucchini and cabbage are two fantastic options
- Whizz up a cauliflower and stir fry with all your traditional fried rice favourites for a fantastic side dish or complete meal
- Make san choy bau to enjoy minced meat (pork is typical, but you could use chicken mince too), water chestnuts, oyster sauce and other flavours in a crispy lettuce leaf
- Or just make your favourite stir fries like beef and broccoli without the side of rice!