The best snacks from the Asian grocer
21 May, 2021
Refresh your snack choices with interesting and delicious options
Everyone loves a snack. But if you’re feeling a bit bored and jaded by the snack selections you normally have in your cupboards, we’ve got the perfect answer to mix it up.
Two words: Asian City. Yes, this unassuming Asian grocery store on the ground floor of Chatswood Interchange (just next to Australia Post) is a treasure trove of delicious snacks to suit all tastebuds. Whether you’re a dedicated fan of salty and savoury or more of a “more sugar please” sweet-tooth snacker, you’ll be sorted!
Don’t know where to start? You can always just grab a basket and start throwing in interesting looking packets, but here’s some of our top picks for some snacks-piration.
We want the salt, give us the salt
Salty, savoury snacks? Is there anything better, especially with a cold beer? We think not. If you’re getting the party started and need to get some nibbles out on the table, here’s some options that are guaranteed to get tastebuds humming with joy.
- Seeds, beans and nuts: Some of our favourites include pork floss flavoured broadbeans, soy sauce watermelon seeds and green tea pumpkin seeds.
- Beyond salt and vinegar: Give your chip bowl an update with choices like salted egg yolk potato chips, sweet potato chips (orange and purple), and hot spicy wholegrain wave crisps.
- A different crunch: Tempura seaweed with sesame grain is a different option to add to your lunchbox.
- Oodles of noodles: And of course, there’s an array of different instant noodle choices to make the shelves of Woolies blush in shame. Think shrimp creamy tom yum, onion, black garlic oil tonkatsu and so many more. Perfect for giving those always hungry teenagers a substantial after-school option to fuel up before sports training and homework.
Give some of that sweet lovin’
So, it’s got to around 3pm in the afternoon. You’re making a cup of tea. And you need a sweet little ‘somethang-somethang’ to give you a little boost. Yeah, you know what we’re talking about. Once again, Asian City delivers. Some of our favourites include:
- Cakes and bakes: Pandan mini muffins, walnut cake and pineapple cookies all pair perfectly with a 3pm slump.
- Fruit made snacktastic: We love options like whole strawberries covered with chocolate and preserved plums.
- Sweet treats: Think gorgeous packs of marshmallows with pack decorations reminiscent of Studio Ghibli and delightful mochi (we love green tea mochi in particular).